Monday 20 May 2013

Today's news

Today's prompt for Blog every day in May is to talk about something in todays news. 

I have Yahoo as my homepage so I see the news and goings on in the World on a daily basis and I must admit at the moment its pretty grim. 

I don't want to talk about morbid things that are happening right now. But this story go us talking today. Ex-solider paints his door in St Georges flag colours. He's had it painted like this for 10 years and has only just been asked to re-paint it.


The locals who live around him don't seem to mind about the door.
Taken from The sun website
Ms Hardy also said his conduct breached tenancy conditions concerning those tenants who were "injurious to the interests of neighbours" and those who "cause distress, alarm or interfere with the peace and comfort of any other person."
Mr Rolfe, who served in Northern Ireland, said: “I couldn’t believe it when I got the letter.
"We seem to be losing our values in this country and also losing our sense of identity, all in the name of political correctness."
The father-of-one said he had never had any problems before and none of his neighbours have ever complained.
He added: "I am far from being racist, I’m just proud of England that’s all.
"My neighbours say they would like to see more of the St George’s flag about."
Mr Rolfe has been supported by Muslim community leader Ali Anwar who said: "As far as I’m concerned, a man’s home is his castle, and he should be allowed to express himself as he wishes. This is political correctness gone mad."
Former Labour MP David Borrow, who is now a local councillor, said: "The door has been like that a long time and having spoken to the gentleman, I have no reason to believe that he is anything other than a decent member of the community.
"I do not believe that he has intended the door to symbolise anything offensive, and I have heard no specific complaints."
John Clemence, vice president of the Royal Society of St George, said: "To say that the cross of St George can cause offence needs to be challenged.



I just don't get it. Surely no one would take offence by this? If they are living in our country should they not respect our flag and culture. Should they not be proud to live in Britain aswell even if they are from a different country, if not why are they living here? I think the housing company is just being awkward with this man, I'm sure no one would complain about his door.

I think its silly that he has been asked to have it painted over, I think it actually looks quite smart and nicely done. He is obviously a proud English-man and so he should be. 

What do you think? Would you take offence? 

No comments :

Post a Comment